Monday, November 8, 2010

Explanation

I see I already have followers. Way to go, Ray! I always knew I had it in me.

I will try to update as much as possible, but I can't guarantee any sort of regularity. I don't own my own personal computer so when I want to post I have to use a computer at the public library. And frankly (pun to follow) I easily get distracted by reading Frank O'Hara's poetry, listening to homeless people tell me about their past lives they've lived in various reincarnations, and making fun of Kurt Vonnegut's novels.

That brings me to the point of this post. I happen to read, listen, and view much of the literature, music, and film of the present age and of the recent past. That is what I do. I don't see much beauty anywhere else nowadays. And I happen to know which ones are good and which ones are just pure rubbish. So, I hope to sometimes post blogs providing criticism and praise to everyone's favorite mediums of art, as well as exposing my own writings. I might not always explain too much which ones are worth your time, but you just got to trust me.

For instance, in case you don't know there are two music artists named Kanye West and Sufjan Stevens who have absolutely nothing in common, but someone decided to create a mix between two of their songs. Sufjan talks about zombies all the time and Kanye is scared because he hasn't talked to God in a long time. What do those have in common?! Give it a listen and you'll see what I mean. Lester once tried to argue with me about why he thinks those two songs "really do work well together, both musically and thematically if you just-" but I retorted by asking, "Do you really think Regis Filbin ever trembles with the nervous thought of being, at last, forgotten about?" He just got real quiet. I think he learned his lesson. Don't mess with Ray when it comes to music, literature, or film because he will always win!

I will post the stories I gave to Lester and Anna soon. Stand by!